Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sweet Chocolate Easter Bunnies

Growing up, Easter meant endless hours of bunny and chick themed arts and crafts, painting eggs and decorating cookies.

Now, Easter means hosting large family dinners. Today, my fiancé and I are having his family over for dinner. His parents, sisters and aunt are great though - they are bringing the turkey, stuffing, gravy, veggies and desserts, so we don't have to do everything ourselves. Yay for being able to enjoy the evening with a nice glass of wine and fun conversation, instead of spending it in the kitchen!

I had the urge to try something new and creative, so I decided to make decorative toppers for the cupcakes my in-laws brought over.

I started with Merckens chocolate wafers in yellow and purple, and a bunny chocolate mould.


I melted the wafers in the microwave. They reached the right consistency at between 60 a 90 seconds - smooth and thick, which made it easier to pour than if they were too runny.

Melted Menckens Chocolate wafers

I then poured a teaspoon full of the melted chocolate into each bunny mould.

Yellow Menckens chocolate in bunny rabbit mould Pouring purple Menckens chocolate in bunny rabbit mould 

To get rid of air bubbles in the chocolate I gently tapped the mould tray on the counter and then placed it in the fridge for 10 minutes.

This is how they turned out.

Yellow and purple Menckens chocolate wafer bunny rabbits


And what they looked like sitting atop the chocolate and vanilla cupcakes.

Yellow and purple Menckens chocolate wafer bunny rabbits on top of chocolate and vanilla cupcakes


I quite like the way the way they look and they taste delicious too. I am going to look for different moulds and make more of these for different occasions.



No comments :

Post a Comment