Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring Inside: Fresh new colours and smells

Here in the Greater Toronto Area we're still dealing with below seasonal temperatures and are coming up to a week with 5 days of non-stop rain in the forecast!

So, because we can't really start working on the backyard yet, I decided to start adding a few spring touches to the inside of our home.

Yesterday, I headed to my local Home Depot in search of some plant life. I started in the interior section of the Garden Centre and picked out the perfect Majesty Palm (no browning tips or broken branches!). The leaves on our last Majesty Palm started to brown after just a few weeks and we eventually gave up on it after a few months. I read though that they are supposed to last at least a few years, so I am determined to keep this one going for much longer.

Our family room is mostly neutral without a lot of bright colour, except for on the throw pillows, so the palm in the corner adds a nice pop of deep green. I placed it just off of a south-east facing window that gets a decent amount of sunlight in the morning but not enough that it would scorch it. We've named "him" Stanley Jr. - don't ask!

Majesty Palm Home Depot

I was also thinking of picking up a bouquet of flowers but decided on some potted tulips instead. I love tulips and since these weren't cut yet I am thinking they should last longer. They are a pretty mauve colour and are gradually starting to open. The store associate said that I could transplant them outside if I want, but I am enjoying them on the kitchen table for right now, and I don't know the first thing about gardening outdoors...yet.

purple mauve tulips home depot

Finally, to add some freshness to the air, I picked up some Air Wick Scented Oil Refills in Lavender and Chamomile. My fiance and I haven't been sleeping well and are both under a fair bit of stress and work, so I am hoping the Lavender, which is supposed to be great for insomnia and stress relief, will help bring a sense of calm to our home. Chamomile, as an essential oil, is supposed to work as an anti-depressant, relaxant and eliminate sluggishness. We're not depressed but a little pick-me-up never hurts!

And now, I am going to start learning some real gardening skills that I will hopefully be able to apply to the backyard soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment